SomdejPhraMahadhiracariya, whose Buddhist name is Khemongkaro, surname Sutdhibandhu of 71, 50 years ordination, Education: Pali 3, First Grade of Dharma Study, Doctorate Degree (Buddhism) from Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Bangkok (Thailand), Doctorate Degree (Education) from Rajabhat Ubon Rachathani University (Thailand) and also Doctorate Degree (History) from Ramkhamhaeng University (Thailand) Address: Wat Yannawa (Royal Monastery)
His name is Prasit Sutdhibandhu, born on Tuesday, waning (moon) as 14th day of the lunar month, year of the ox, on May 24, 1937. His father is Khoon Ko-ehukrit (Pha). His mother, Mrs. Ko-ehukrit (Ta) at Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province.
He became a novice at Wat Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani province in 1948, for whom Phragru Pinitsilakoon, Director of A. Khuangnai, Wat Thoongsawang, Baan Nonyai, Tambon Ko-Eh, who functioned as Phra-upajaya (a spiritual teacher).
Life in Monkhood
He entered monkhood at the church of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Varamahawiharn, Kwaeng Chakkrawat, Khet Sampanthawong, Bangkok, for whom Phradhamdhirajmuni (Thee Punnako Pali 9), abbot of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas (later on promoted to the rank of Somdejphradhirayanamuni), who functioned as Phra-upajaya, while Phrawinaikitkosol (In Tissaro, Pali 6), assistant abbot (later on promoted to the rank of Phrarajpanyamuni) functioned as Phrakarmavachacharn (act-announcing teacher).
Also, Phramaha Boonma Dhipadhammo (Pali 6), assistant abbot (later on promoted to the rank of Phraputthiwongsamuni, present abbot 2007), functioned as Phraanusawanacharn (ordination-proclaiming teacher).
You can download the full version Thai Version | English Version or more information
General Educational Qualification
- In 1948 passed standard Four in the elementary school (Phompitya), Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province.
- In 1960 passed class IX in the secondary school of Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Bangkok.
Educational Qualification of Dharma in Buddhism
- In 1954 passed Third Grade of Dharma-study.
- In 1955 passed Second Grade of Dharma-study.
- In 1956 passed First Grade of Dharma-study. First Grade at the same school of Wat Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province.
- In 1958 passed Grade 3 of Pali study at the school of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok.
Study of Dharma Practice on Training Vipassanakammathan (Insight Development)
- In 1948 after becoming a novice, he followed his teacher who instructed and had an austere practice in various schools in the regions of Ubon rachathani Province and Sakonnakorn Province by three months.
- In 1954 he passed the practice of kammathan (meditation) with three months course at Wat Mahathat, Bangkok.
- In 1973 he was the committee and secretary of revision plan on the practice of Vipassanakammathan at Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok (up to 1975).
- In 1973 there was a procedure of training Vipassanakammathan at the office of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok. He was continuously trained to practice meditation according to the curriculum of an office (up to 1975 before travel to perform the religious activity in USA).
- In 1976 he was the president to the project of training Vipassanakammathan (for Thais and foreigners) at Wat Dharmmaramin Chicago, USA (until today).
- In 2002 he was the president to the project of Dharma practice at Wat Yannawa, Bangkok, leading the sangha, monks and new novices to join the project of ordination for a royal extolling on the occasion of the Great Queen’s 12th August and the Great King’s 5th December, inviting students, officials, merchants and people to obtain a Dharma practice earnestly and continuously according to three, seven, fifteen days or one month course (till today).
- In 2004 he was the Head of Dharma practice office at Wat Yannawa, through which the office of the National Buddhism declared Wat Yannawa to be the first office of Dharma practise for Bangkok.
Domestic Honours Awarded
- In 1995 he won from HRH Princess Sirindhorn the post of Semadharmachak and the certificate of Honour as the monk who performed the benefits to Buddhism and propagated the Buddhism abroad, on Vesak Day in 1992.
- In 1995 he was awarded an Honourary Degree (B.A. Horns) in the Department of Social Science from Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University on 7th May.
- In 2000 he was awarded an Honourary Degree in the Department of Education (B. Ed. Horns) from the Institute of Rajabhat Ubonrachathani (Graduate Approval of Academic Year 1999) admitted by HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn to organize the ceremony of awarding a degree in a special case at Amporn Sathan Throne on December 19, 2000.
- In 2000 he won an Honourary Degree in the Department of Education Technology from Ramkhamhaeng University at dates.
Special Honours Awarded
- In 1986 he got a Distinguished Award of the Asian-lineage American Social Welfare from the Board of Directors of Asian Human Service of Chicago.
- In 1990 he won a Certificate of Honour from the City of Chicago as its honourary civil who has an authority and right in a propagation of a religion, Thai good tradition and culture in the City of Chicago and also in Illinois State, USA, on 8th June.
- In 1990 he got another Certificate of Honour from Richard M. Daley, Mayor of Metropolitan Chicago. As a person, he had done great benefits to Asian and American communities in the City of Chicago. The ceremony of awarding the Certificate of Honour was officially performed at Wat Thammaram on August 15.
- In 1991 he got another Certificate of Honour from Mr. Paul Simon, Senator of USA, as the monk industriously propagating Buddhism, Thai culture and tradition in the City of Chicago, USA on 8th April.
- In 1997 he won the Certificate of Honour again from Richard M. Daley, Mayor of the City of Chicago dated 24th May 1997, who declared May 24 of every year (which like the birthday of Phrapromwachirayan) to be “the Day of Propagating Buddhism, Thai culture and Tradition in the City of Chicago, USA.
- In 1999 he continuously got the Certificate of Honour from George H. Ryan, Mayor of Illinois, USA, as the monk really propagated Buddhism and kindly gave help to Thai and foreigners a good many times ago in USA on September 13.
Speaking in short, he was the first Thai and first Thai monk who got many certificates of Honour from important well-known institutes and leaders from 1986 to 2008.The ecclesiastical titles he got are following:
- In 1960 appointed as Phrakrupalat Suwatthanathirakun of Phraubalikunoopamacharn (Thee Punnakamahathera Pali 9) on August 14
- In 1972 appointed as Phrakrupalat Sampipatthanathiracharn of Somdejphratheerayanamuni (Thee Punnakamahathera Pali 9) on December 5
- In 1973 promoted to be Phrasutheerattanaporn on December 5
- In 1984 promoted to be Phrarajrattanaporn on December 5
- In 1992 promoted to be Phrathepsutthimon on August 12
- In 2000 promoted to be Phrathamwachirayan on December 5
- In 2001 promoted to be Phrapromwachirayan on December 5
- In 2018 promoted to be Somdejphramahadheerajaraya on December 5
- Extra Upachaya (appointed by the Supreme Patriarch) in 1984.
- Committee of Mahathera Council (comparable with the minister of the government) which is the highest administrative organization of Thai Order (appointed by the Supreme Patriarch) in 2001.
- Vice-president of Public-health committees under the Mahathera Council in 2001.
- Committee of administration under the Mahathera Council in 2001
- Committee of Buddhist propagation under the Mahathera Council in 2001.
- Committee of consideration on the middle religious properties under the Mahathera Council in 2001.
- Abbot of Wat Yannawa, a royal temple, Bangkok (appointed by the Supreme Patriarch) in 2001.
- Head of the Dharma school, Wat Yannawa, Bangkok in 2001
- Vice-president of committees to the Health and Rehabilitation Centre of Addicts under Mahathera Council in 2002.
- Committee to a Central Unit of Instructing people under the Mahathera Council in 2003.
- Committee for a consideration and adaptation of curriculum in training administrative monks at the level of abbots under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee to form the curriculum in training administrative monks at the level of head-villagers under the Mahathera Council in 2004
- Advisory committee to the published house of Office of National. Buddhism, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Accompanying and cooperative committee approved by the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Principal of Monks’ and Dharma Propagators’ Centre for Thailand’s social development (a centre of volunteer monks provide monks to teach ethics in the secondary and vocational schools and the universities through various institutes’ request) under the Dharma school of Wat Yannawa, Bangkok in 2004.
- He is appointed as the representative of the Mahathera Council to be the principal of institutes promoting and propagating Buddhism in Thailand, doing the duty as the president of Dharma-study teachers’ project in various schools and institutes (one monk teacher for one of the 8000 villages all over Thailand for the development of the young and adults to be good people) according to the Department of Religions’ request, Ministry of Culture under Thai government in 2004.
- Member of staff performing Thai temples’ activities in foreign countries under the Mahathera Council (Thailand) in 2004.
- Intensive committee in the issuance of privilege in the reallocation of the deserted temple’s lands and the central religious properties under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee of revision for the ministerial order in the second addition (1964) issued according to the case of the Order’s 1982 Act of Legislation under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee of selecting the promotion of religious officials, the Office of National Buddhism, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- President of committees on the supervision of the Tripitaka project for the beginners’ duplication of extolling Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of Her 72 years old in 2004 at Wat Yannawa, Bangkok in 2004.
- Cooperative committee to organize the exhibition on the celebration of 250 anniversaries in the establishment of Siamvongsa, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee in a consideration and revision of monks and novices’ walking in the department stores and bazaars, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee in a consideration and procedure of drafting the Act of organizing the land form for the development of area, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee in a specification of budget policy about central religious properties for the benefit of Buddhism, under the Mahathera Council in 2004
- Staff and the representative of the Mahathera Council went out to help the monks and Buddhist people in Southern provinces at 1/2004 time.
- Principal of Dharma-practice place for Bangkok at 1/2004 time.
- Committee in the consideration of activities on Visak Day as the important day of the World, under the Mahathera Council in 2004.
- Committee in the project of Dharma-practice building’s construction and in the coordination of the Order’s work under the Mahathera Council in 2005.
- Committee in the selection of cases which should be offered to the Mahathera Council in 2005.
- Managing Director of Information Data of Buddhism, under the Mahathera Council in 2006.
- Committee of one Temple one E-learning Centre: OTEC, under the Mahathera Council in 2006.
- Committee in the consideration of a community radio’s readiness, under the Mahathera Council in 2006.
- Committee in an adaptation of drafting, rules, orders and announcement, under the Mahathera Council in 2006.
- Staff and representative of the Mahathera Council went out to help the monks and Buddhist people in six Southern provinces attacked by Tsunami waves in 2006.
- Committee in the performance of common activities in a royal enhance on the occasion of His Majesty, the King’s 60 years reign in 2007.
- Patrol Managing Director to “the school and the place of Dharma practice” at Wat Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province in 1973.
- Managing Director of “Phraputthalokanasukhothai Foundation Wat Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province in 1985.
- Qualified committee of University Council, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Ubon Rachathani Campus in 1987.
- Committee of drafting the curriculum in training Buddhist missionaries in the foreign line of the Thai Order (under the Assembly of the Order in USA) joins Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University and the Office of National Buddhism proceeded in the name of Thai Order in 1989.
- Consulting president in the project of promoting Her Majesty the Queen’s occupation of handicraft work (Silapacheep) at Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province in 1989.
- Consulting president of Thepprasit Fund for promoting Her Majesty the Queen’s occupation of handicraft work, at Baan Yangnoi, UbonRachathani Province in 1990.
- Consulting committee in an administration of religious and cultural education for Thai youths abroad, under the Ministry of Education in 1990.
- Patrol committee in a project of instructing Buddhist missionaries in a foreign line established by the assembly of Thai Order in USA, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University and the Office of National Buddhism in 1999.
- Special teacher in the branch of Thai study, Faculty of Humanities, Ramkhamhaeng University in 1999
- Advisor of Karnchanabarami Foundation of HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn.
- Consulting president of monks to 5th December Maharaja’s foundation in 2000.
- Inventor of royal titles for Her Majesty the Queen in 2001.
- Inventor of royal titles for HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn in 2001.
- President to the project of 50 years old Prince Vajiralongkorn’s hospital (Order’s hospital) in North-east, Ubonrachathani Province, capacity of 400 beds at a budget for 800-1000 million Baht construction, extolling HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn in 2001.
- Chairman of committees in the project of religion-study, educational welfare, propagation, Dharma-practice promotion, extolling the king, at Wat Yannawa in 2001.
- Chairman of 50 years old Vajiralongkorn Hospital Foundation in a support of 50 years old Vajiralongkorn Hospital construction (the Order’s hospital) in the northeastern region, Ch. Ubon Rachathani in 2002.
- Chairman of Phraratanatrai Foundation (for the promotion of religion study, educational welfare, Dharma propagation, and activities for the reverence of the nation, relugion and king’s institutes), extolling Her Majesty the 72 years old Queen, at Wat Yannawa, Bangkok in 2004.
- Chairman of Phrapromwachirayan Foundation, Khonkaen Province, Thailand for the educational welfare to underprivileged children but well-learning in the village in 2005.
- Deputy Chairman of Dharmakathik Council of Thailand for the propagation of Buddhism in 2005.
- Chairman of the project development for Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, in the reverence of Her Majesty, the 72 years old Queen in 2004-2005 such as:
- To establish the Queen Sirikit Park, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachthani, Province extolling the Queen at 42 million Baht expenses.
To establish four buildings for an exhibition and distribution of goods from Silapacheep with its porch, Baan Yangnoi, UbonRachathani Province, extolling the Queen at 10 million Baht expenses in 2004-2005.
To establish the sports ground in the project of Silapacheep at 6 million Baht expenses in 2004-2005.
To establish the road and the parking lot in the marketing project of Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, extolling the Queen at 5 million Baht expenses in 2004-2005.
To establish the port of inspecting and looking after the project of Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Provinc, extolling the Queen at 800,000 Baht expenses in 2004-2005.
To establish the lotus pool in the projects of the Queen Sirikit Park and Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, extolling the Queen at 1.5 million Baht expenses in 2004-2005.
To afforest in the projects of the Queen Sirikit Park and Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, extolling the Queen together with a provision of officials looking after the forest at 2 million Baht, expenses in 2004-2005.
To establish the water tanks for supplying water for the projects of the Queen Sirikit Park and Silapacheep, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, extolling the Queen at 500,000 Baht expenses at 2004-2005.
- Chairman of restoration and development project on Chetsadabordin Building’s third floor, Tripitaka tower, and the abbot’s chamber, Wat Yannawa, Bangkok, extolling the King at 15 million Baht expenses in 2001-2003.
- Advisor of Security Association of Buddhism in Thailand in 2004.
- Committee of University Council, Rajabhat University, Ubonrachathani in 2004.
- Chairman of the project of temple restoration and development, Wat Yannawa, Bangkok, extolling the 72 years old Queen Sirikit (by a royal permission) in 2004 as follows:
- Chairman of the project of establishing the monks’ chamber of five floors, (removing very old chamber 10,11,12) on the same area, Wat Yannawa at 30 million Baht expenses 2005-2006.
- Chairman of the project of adapting, developing and constructing shops around Wat Yannawa (proceeding) at 2004-2009 at 800 million Baht expenses
- Chairman of the project of Wat Yannawa’s old church restoration and development for strength and beauty (proceeding) at the budget of 55 million Baht expenses in 2006-2007.
- Chairman of committees of Chinese sheds, Wat Yannawa (proceeding) at 5 million Baht budget in 2004-2007.
- Chairman of committees in the restoration and development of a junk (proceeding), Wat Yannawa at 10 million Baht budget in 2004-2012.
- Chairman of committees in the construction of the 4th Floors building for a religion study and Dharma practice, extolling the 72 years old Queen at 30 million Baht budget (proceeding) in 2006-2007.
- Chairman of the project of establishing King Rama III, Phranangklao’s monument at the ground of the jink, Wat Yannawa, Bangkok (Thailand) by the King’s permission (proceeding) at 10 million Baht budget in 2004-2007.
- Special advisor in the project of Tripitaka, public addition on Phrasutta (a basket of discourses), extolling HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn, under the Department of Religions (Thailand) in 2005.
- Advisor of the Practioner of Thai Medicine Association of Thailand in 2005.
- Chairman of committees in the consideration of common activities in extolling the King on the occasion of his 60 years reigning celebration in 2006, and was admitted to compose eulogies in the name of Thai Order at this auspicious time.
- Expert in the Institute of Buddhist Research, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University in 2005.
- Thai Order’s Administration of Sangha (Orders) in Thailand.
- To work in the office of the Order’s executive committees, Ubon rachathani Province in 1961-1964.
To work in the office of the abbot, Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok, functioning in a place of Somdejphrathirayanmuni (Thee Punnakathera), abbot, in 1958-1967.
To work for the division of 3rd Region-chief (work in the administration of northeastern Sangha in Thailand) in 1967-1978.
To be Wat Chakkrawatrajawas’ secretary in 1967-1987.
To be a secretary of Northern Region’s chief (work in the administration of Northern Region’s Sangha of Thailand in 1965-1967.
To be a secretary of Eastern Region’s chief (work in the administration of Eastern Region’s Sangha of Thailand in 1967-1987.
To be an assistant abbot of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas in 1973-2001.
To be a deputy chairman of committees in Sangha’s administration in Wat Chakkrawatrajawas in 1987-2001.
To be a chairman of committees in Sangha’s administration in Wat Chakkrawatrajawas in 1987-2001.
To be the chief of the first section in Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok in 1992-2001.
To be the chief of the eighth section in Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok in 1997-2001.
To be the acting chief of the sixth section in Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok in 2000-2001.
To be appointed an abbot by the Supreme Patriarch, in the royal temple, Wat Yannawa in the end of 2001 and officially working on February 21, 2002.
-In 1975 as he was Phra Suthirattanaporn, he functioned as the secretary of Buddhist missionary Division of Thai Sangha (equal to a secretary of minister of culture or of foreign affairs) and got from Somdejphrathirayanmuni, the abbot of Wat Chakkrawatrajawas and the chief of royal-field Dharma division, the permission to solve the problems, and support the performance of Thai Sangha’s religious activities in New York and USA (joined with Thai Ambassador for the UN in New York) at the end of 1975.
-To be an advisor of Thai Buddhist Centre of Illinois, Chicago for the promotion of religious and cultural activities of Thai community in Illinois in 1976.
To be the chairman of committees (abbot), Wat Thammaram in Chicago in 1979.
To be the chairman of Thai Sangha’s assembly in USA in 1979-1987.
To be the chairman of committees (the first abbot of Wat Phutthawas in Houston, Texas State in 1982-1985.
To be the chairman of committees (the first abbot of Wat Phuttharangsri in Miami City, Florida State) according to Phra Vithetthammarungsri (Surasak Jivanando)’s proposal, Wat Thai in Washington DC., who was cooperated with Buddhist people in Miami, in an establishment of Thai temple in that state in 1988-1991.
To be the chairman of Wat Navamintharachuthit in Boston, USA, extolling the King on the occasion of his 60 years reigning celebration in 2006 and on the occasion of his 80 years celebration in 2007, in depending on the Supreme Patriarch’s support approved by the Mahathera Council (Thailand)in 2003.
To be the chairman of the project of Vipassanakammathan Centre and American-Thai cultural Centre at Wat Mintrarachuthit, Boston,extolling the King for the benefit and peace of Thai and American people even to the world in 2002.
-To be the chairman of the project of a temple establishment, and be the abbot of Wat Thammaram in Chicago.
-To be the chairman of the project of a temple establishment, be the first abbot of Wat Putthawas in Houston and also be approved by the assembly of Thai Sangha in USA so that he can be the chairman of the project of a temple establishment and be the first abbot of Wat Puttharungsri in Miami (1982-1984) according to Phra Vithetthammarungsri (Phramaha Surasak Jivanando), Thai temple, Washington DC., who was cooperated with Buddhist people in Miami.
He persuaded the Sangha and Buddhist people in that city and state to establish Thai temples. Though Buddhist people’s belief, the Sangha’s residences were sparingly built. He emphasized the matter of religious activities, dharma, ceremony and people more than the art of Buddhism and the religious places which brought about wastes and the effect of reducing people’s belief, and were not proper to the beginning of establishing the temple abroad. Especially in USA, every city of each state does not have many families of Thai people who are lonely and eager to have the temple and Thai monks as their mental refuge.
That is why he and the assembly of Thai Sangha in USA worried about the future problems and had a careful opinion and policy of establishing Thai temple in USA regarding to regard to its support, maintenance, permanence and progress in future.
By depending on the firm cooperation of Thai Sangha and Buddhist people in USA, where there were a few temples in the past but now there are unbelievable, more 60 temples and more than 400 monks.Besides, a minority of people in foreign countries who would establish the temple might not have sufficient money and supports. Although the temple had been established, it was not supported with funds and maintenance. So the temples in the foreign countries had to depend on the supporters’ high wisdom, ability, and patience which would give rise to a success as needed.
There are a lot of temples in the foreign countries, which Phrapromwachirayan controls, especially temples in USA, he is concerned with, like: Wat Thammaram in Chicago, Wat Putthawat in Houston, Wat Puttharungsri in Miami, Wat Thainakornlosangeles in Los Angeles Wat Thai in Washington D.C. and Wat Nawamintrarachuthit (Wat Chalermphrakiat in the King’s birthplace) even other sixty temples in the branch of Thai Sangha’s assembly in USA. While he looks after only three temples like Wat Thammaram, in Chicago, Wat Putthawat in Houston and Wat Nawamintrarachuthit. Each temple has, on the other hand, the hard task in the foreign country and has to depend on a high attempt and patience in the performance of a project and activity, the collecting of believable people and the solving of problems. Especially established temples will be glorious through a careful maintenance and firm funds.
Speaking in short, the activities of mentioned temple he has done are following:
In 1974-2006 he bought 10 acres of land and buildings, developing, repairing, rebuilding Salachalermphrakiat Hall for Her Majesty, the Queen on the occasion of her 60 years old celebration, at Wat Thammaram in Chicago, Illinois, USA. All expenses which count Thai money are 300 million Bath
( in 2006 the project of constructing Chalermphrakiat Church, Wat Thammaram in Chicago is proceeding at 360 million Bath budget ).
In 1982-2006 he bought 5 acres of land and the buildings and had the development and restoration of places and the construction of Chalermphrakiat Church for Her Majesty, the Queen, at Wat Putthawat in Houston, Texas, the cost of land is 100 million Bath (admitted by the King and the Queen to build the gable of a church in the Queen’s short name SK in front of the church).
In 2006 he began the project of buying 55 acres of land ( $ 1.5 million = 60 million Bath ) to build Wat Nawamintrarachuthit in Boston, Massachusetts, USA (in the city where Thai King was born) for extolling the King on the occasion of his 60 years reigning celebration at the budget of 1,000 million Bath construction.
Somdejphramahadheerajaraya in the period of being a simple monk interested in his abbot and master’s religious work on various social services in receiving alms and money from people to distribute for Buddhist monks and victims all time.
For the public welfares in the villages of Thailand, he began doing Somdejphrathirayanmuni (Thee Punnakathera)’s work as follows:
In 1963-1985 he was assigned to be cooperated with the villagers in a provision of land and in asking for the help of the Department of Irrigation in digging four ponds in his native place including the construction of a church and a Buddhist hall in front of Wat Naphrathat Amphur Pakthongchai, Nakornrajasima Province.
In 1985 he was in a period of being Phrasutheerattanporn, who persuaded monks and people of Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province to develop Wat Baanbangyang about religious properties, places, ceremonies, people like:
To build three monk-chambers, one church and all-purposed hall, one Buddhist hall (vihara) for the stand of Phraputthalokanatsukhothai image of a lap at 108 inches wide in the short name YSS of Somdejphrayanasangworn, the Supreme Patriarch, four Buddhist halls in each direct around the church, and also the system of underground water-supply used for monk-chambers in the wat included in 20 bathrooms and toilets.
To 1987 he developed a cleaning and orders in the wat in the promotion of learning Dharma and Pali, and practicing Dharma through which Wat Yangnoi was praised by the Department of Religions, Ministry of Education, as a sample temple in the year 2000.
In 1988 he persuaded the members of Tambon. Ko-eh’s council to develop the roads in Muban. Yangnoi from zigzag to straight roads like chessboard-squares, the cleaning and orders, underground water-supply and the system of electricity in the village where every family had their own toilets.
In 1992 he was in a period of being Phrathepprasitthimon was the committee of the project of afforestation for extolling the King, together with five organizations patronized by Somdejphrayanasangworn, the Supreme Patriarch, to perform his duty in an afforestation in the central and local regions until today.
In 1997 he was the president to request the government’s support in the construction of a health centre and developed the public health of Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh, Amphur Khuangnai, Ubonrachathani Province
(until was admitted as Chalermphrakiat Health Centre by Queen Sirikit in 2000).
Besides, he asked for the central Division of National Security’s help to build a public road from Chaengsanit road to Panongkwaek join the village road at 3 kilometres long. He, on the other hand led monks, soldiers, policemen, merchants and people to share the project of afforestation and a protection of environment for extolling the King, in the campus of temples, schools, villages and also in royal-property place Panongkwaek of 1,800 rai (one rai = 1,600 sqmetres).
To ask for Ubonrachathani Province the Central Division of National Security and the Department of Irrigation’s assistance to dig twelve water-saving ponds in a boundary of Panongkhwaek.
To support the project of Utthayan Chalermphrakiat Karnchanapisek Park, the centre of study and practice of high education for the permanent development of the villages, Institute of Rajabhat UbonRachathani in the royal-property place, Baan Yangnoi in an area of 1,000 rai, for extolling the King
To support the president in solving the public land problem of Nongkhwaek, Baan Yangnoi, Ubonrachathani Province, which was chronic for long time, for the development as a common benefit according to the economic principle by spending his own half a million baht in 2000.
In 2000 as the year of great flood in Thailand’s northeastern region he was admitted by His Majesty, HRH Prince, to carry his 1,000 bags of supplies, and other 11,500 bags given to him by people, the Red Cross of the provinces and the districts, to the ill-fated people in the flooded area of Ubonrachathani. Province One of these bags counts 1,300 Baht plus the transport by air at 200,000 Baht a time out of four, roughly speaking all expenses were 15 million Baht.
The project of promoting Silapacheep of Her Majesty the Queen, Baan Yangnoi, Tambon Ko-Eh. Amphur Khuangnai,Ubonrachathani Province
In 1994 Phrapromwachirayan during of being Phrathepsitthimon, Wat Chakkrawatrajawas, Bangkok led the members of a village council to promote the development of careers and livelihood for people in this region. Her Majesty, the Queen heard this information and had her project of Silapacheep promotion and His Majesty, the King’s project of a new theory to support people in the area of 80 rai at Panongphaek, Baan Yangnoi on November 22, 1996, through which people in various villages and districts in this region had the chance to be members in practicing the additional careers and getting the appreciative benefits by depending on her great kindness.
Phrapromwachirayan intended to perform the religious activities and repaid the kindness to her until he was trusted by Her Majesty the Queen, to work about the religious ceremony and the public welfares of Her Majesty, the Queen and HRH the Prince in various occasions very often.
At present he was very kindly appointed as a consulting chairman in the project of Silapacheep promotion, Baan Yangnoi, of which Thanpuying Charoongchit, the Queen’s deputy secretary, was a managing director with whom merchant and people were participated to directing committees and operating committees responsible to the Queen’s intention.
In 2004 he was importantly trusted by the Queen to be a directing chairman in the project of Silapacheep promotion, Baan Yangnoi, Ubon Rachathani, Thailand, extolling the Queen on the occasion of her 72 years celebration, which contains its following essential works:
- The beautiful-style hall built at B 12 million expenses
- Four buildings for the distribution of Silapacheep products, and the archway of Silapacheep community, markets, and roads in a project of B 40 million expenses
75% of monks in nineteen provinces in the northeastern region of Thailand suffered from bad health and conjoined the project of establishing Sangha’s hospital at Baan Pladook, Mu 3, Tambon Rainoi, Amphur Muang,
Ubonrachathani Province in the area of 71 rai, 34 rai used for the convalescent home of monks, novices and sick people, and also 398 for the park of herbal medicine.
At first Phrapromwachirayan, Wat Yannawa, functioned as the advisor of monks and Gen. Chavalit Yongchaiyuth as the advisor of laymen while Phrathepkittimuni, a religious governor of Ubonrachathani Province functioned as the president of monks and Mr. Surasak Thiamprasert as the president
In this case HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn kindly accepted the project as that of Chalermphrakiat, 50 years old Vajiralongkorn, and proceeded with Princess Patcharakittiyapa to lay a foundation stone on May 23, 2002, finally in naming “Rongphayaban Hasippansa Mahavajiralongkorn” (Fifty Years Old Mahavajiralongkorn Hospital).
The procedure of a project at first had a lot of difficulties through which the Sangha and people had the united opinion that Phrapromwachirayan should be the president of monks while Gen. Chavalit should be the president of laymen.
Later on HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn graciously established the foundation of 59 Years Old Mahavajiralongkorn Hospital, and invited Phrapromwachirayan to be the president of this foundation so that it would search funds and proceed the construction of a hospital with 400 beds at 300 million Bath price.
This hospital is comprised of an outpatient-accident building, service building, medical building, all-purposed building, nurse building, path connected with a cement road, a system of collecting and curing of bad water, and a system of public utility, and gets his policy so that it can give general people a medical treatment.
In the procedure of construction the foundation and the committees of a project divided work into three stages. Now at the first stage the hospital with 80 beds has been proceeded at the budget of 160 million Bath construction.
The project “50 Years Old Mahavajiralongkorn Hospital (Sangha’s hospital) got a kind assistance under the patronage of the Supreme Patriarch Somdejphrayannasangworn, and the good help from Somdejphraputthacharn, Somdejphramahatheeracharn, Somdejphramahamangkalacharn and Somdejmahawirawong who kindly accepted to be the consulting patronists
of this hospital.
In this case His Majesty, the King graciously admitted to build “Phraputthanirarokantarayachaiyawatchaturathit Image” (Buddha Image prevent danger in four directions) and ordered HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn to cast a bronze Buddha statue and be the president in the ceremony of Mahaputthapisek (sanctification to a Buddha statue) which would be carried to stand in this Sangha’s hospital.
At this time the foundation of 50 Years Old Mahavajiralongkorn Hospital finished at the first stage, in which the Ministry of Public Health sent physicians, nurses and officials to give service to monks and people on October 4, 2005.
In an auspicious honour of 50 Years Old Mahavajiralongkorn Hospital, its foundation was admitted to place the name of the Supreme Patriarch, Phrayannasangworn in front of Vihara. Phraputthanirarokantarayachaiyawatchaturathit, while the name of Somdejphraputthacharn was placed at the outpatient-accident building, the name of Somdejphramahatheeracharn at the all-purposed building, and the name of Somdejphramahavirawong at two-classed service-building.
The construction had two stages remaining which its foundation would proceed until finish. It was expected that this hospital would completely give service in 2007. Possibly the budget might add to 500 million Bath.
Phrapromwachirayan as the president of its foundation, with the committees of a project proceeded to serve the policy of the Mahathera Council in the public health to monks and people in villages of the northeastern region. Various successes satisfactory occurred from past to present through HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn’s great kindness, the Mahathera Council, administrative monks and people’s assistance.
As Somdejphramahadheerajaraya, who is one monk in the Buddhism of Theravada sect, sacrifices his life to practice religious activities in every part of the country, without regard to near, far, local, urban or foreign. He always met with a variety of weather, food, culture, attitude and people carrying uncountable problems to him but he believed in the Buddha’s teaching and persevered to make a success of practising religious activities.
To patiently grasp the idealism of work, he considered the propagation of Buddhism as its highest nirvana (enlightenment) and worked without regard to his bad action, speech and thought to anybody.
To grasp the principles of work without doing all wrong but with doing good and purifying his mind
To grasp the way of practicing religious activities without harshly speaking, harming anybody, he was self-controlled in the fundamental precepts (Patimokkha) or Dharma and disciplines, and knew how to have enough in having food, and be satisfied with the quiet place, try to make mind free from defilements.
He was full of the idealism, principle and way in a performance of Buddhist activities which cause him a patience and sacrifice without grasping any gain, reputation, worship or happiness but he had his purpose in paying a debt to Buddhist people who supported Buddhism and looked after the Buddha’s disciplines. That is why he really worked for Buddhism all life.
From his point of religious view, if people know how to develop their minds in depending on giving, practising precepts and meditation which bring about wisdom. To him, if every human can purify their minds free from all defilements (gain, anger and delusion) dominating the world, the society will completely obtain a bodily and mental happiness.
To practice religious activities abroad, he functioned as a lot of posts like: the president of the project of a construction, the abbot of Wat Thammaram in Chicago, USA, the first abbot of the wats in the branch of Thai Sangha assembly, the chairman of Thai Sangha in USA at 6 terms from 1987 to 1997 as the first time of pioneering work.
By depending on the Buddha’s perfections, he could proceed the religious activities in spending the kindness and wisdom as the line of practice by which he was led to be the president of the construction of various temples in the branches of Thai Sangha assembly in USA. (There are 60 temples now). He helped people and shared them to perform the benefits according to the Buddha’s idealism, principle and way. All his social work had been done for the benefit and peace to the wat’s people and members and also of USA. During his religious practice in USA, he held up the slogan “the humanities’ suffering and happiness are continuous”, so he had the policy to have the monks and various temples in the branch of Thai Sangha assembly in USA express their kindness in distributing materials and Dharma human friends in USA in no specification of races, class, nations and religions, and to the global friend.
To create the permanent happiness and peace in the world which caused the Sangha, the temples in his control, and other temples in the branch of Thai Sangha assembly in USA to play their parts in giving a general assistance to the community, association, club and international organizations of religions in USA, even foreign countries where he travelled to visit. This is the important role Thai Sangha have done. Although he doesn’t grasp the world but he has never abandoned people and the world but has given a continuous help to them according to the Buddha’s instruction. Besides, he tried to find the way of making a relationship with the organization and followers of other religions on the ground that “If religious people still turn their back on, to each other, stab in the back or are enemies, how can we create peace to the world” and how can the world people happily make a living?” So the religious people should find the way to convey the ground of kindness apparent in every religion to be mutually used for the happiness and peace of all humanities.
Please see more about his biography and his works…